Silo.

Ok, last place I want to share from my crazy good (local) food weekend was Silo. We had some family in town on Saturday and wanted to show them a great time. My beau's office is right on the corner and he comes into Silo several times a week it seems like -- and yes, I'd never been before. Nice huh? So when we had to decide where to take our guest, Silo was definitely at the top of my list. I will warn you though, I wouldn't just leave your dinner plans to chance, this is definitely one place where a reservation is almost required if you expect to get a table. They do have a bar area, but it's first come first serve and very limited.

I was happy that we came with such a big group because there was so much on the menu that I wanted to try, but my stomach is only just so big. I'm going to go ahead and give you a little glimpse of what our choices were for the night, but don't get your hopes up by what you see. This is a true farm to table restaurant and the menu changes daily -- the fish, meat and produce is brought to them fresh every day! I was told that they often have the same menu 'varieties' but they change how they're 'dressed' up so that people can enjoy new tastes and flavors every time they come.


We started off with 2 orders of the Deviled Willow Farm Eggs -- I didn't get a chance to snap a picture though because they were devoured before I even knew what I wanted to order off the 'second' menu. They basically give you three different halves, made three different ways. They definitely aren't something you'll see anywhere else as far as yummy concoctions are concerned, so if you're a deviled eggs fan, I highly recommend these. I got an order of the Potato & Leek Soup and the table ordered the Fried Brussels Sprouts Salad. Both were to die for. I would've never thought to use Brussels Sprouts that way and look forward to trying to recreate the dish at home.



As for the 'second' menu -- oh my, where do I even begin? A few at the table got the Atlantic black grouper with new potatoes. After having several bites passed to me, I'd give it a thumbs up. The table also ordered the Shrimp Etouffee with house andouille and rice -- the Hanger Steak and subbed the sides with the new potatoes ensemble -- and I personally got the Pork Rib Chop. Not a morsel was left. It was probably one of the juiciest pork chops that I've ever had!




We also got a couple sides for the table -- the Potato Salad and the Buttermilk Mac and Cheese. They are rather large dishes since they're made to be more of a family style portion, so be careful that you're eyes aren't bigger than your stomach :) The food runner recommended adding their house hot sauce to the mac and cheese to give it that extra oomph of flavor -- don't worry though, it's more flavorful then hot. Again, was so hungry, I didn't take any pictures!

How any of us even had room for dessert is beyond me, but I can't very well go out to eat and not enjoy something sweet afterwards! The beau had the GF "pot de creme" which was pretty stellar with salted caramel sauce and caramel/bacon popcorn. Yes, you read that correct! I went with the Roasted Banana Pudding which was to die for..just wish it would've been a bigger serving :) And lastly, our guest got the Lemon Tart with meringue and raspberries. A word of caution, if you don't like tart things, I'd steer clear of the last one -- it literally made everyone's mouth at the table pucker!




All in all, it was a great night of food and company. My only regret was that someone didn't order the Chicken Fried Rabbit. It passed our table several times thru out the night and we all gawked. I've never been a fan of rabbit, but it might've been worth a try by the way it looked! I did also want to point out that our service this weekend was probably some of the best I've ever had -- and for someone that eats out 3-5 times a week at least, I have a pretty high standard. It's rare to find someone that can move in and out from your table without disturbing the conversation or creating awkward moments. Anthony (our waiter) was top notch with making sure that drinks were full, silverware was switched out, food was always on the table, etc. Hands down, one of the best experiences!


No comments:

Post a Comment