Be Local.

For those of you that don't know me personally, I grew up in Florida for almost my whole life. I spent a little time in Michigan when I was younger and about a year in Cali when I was 21/22 -- but I never really knew what it was like to be part of a community until I moved to East Nashville at the end of 2009. And I feel like I'm just now starting to really scratch the surface on this one. I feel like there's quite a few things I want to knock off my EN bucket list in the next few years -- I want to join a cause and have a voice in the community. I want to own a house and have a garden in my backyard. I want my child to go to a local charter school. And I want to buy a bicycle :) Some of these seem silly and no, this isn't an all inclusive list. My number #1 this year alone is to be local. Eat Local. Shop Local. Just Be Local. 

Ok, I'm getting off my soap box before I launch into a huge rant about the topic. But it's something that has just recently become a huge area of my life and something that I want to teach my daughter to make a huge part of hers as she's growing up.

So yesterday I was driving around aimlessly thru the neighborhood and had a couple of hours to kill before picking the kiddo up from her little school down the road. I came to the intersection of S10th and Fatherland and found a parking spot. The Shoppes on Fatherland have been open now since fall of last year and I always find myself driving past them when I'm in a hurry and can't stop. I couldn't think of a better way to kill some time. I walked into Thrive. which I'd heard so much about -- it's actually owned by one of my friend's father. Great little shop with lots to looks at. Soap, candles, glass stuff, baskets, purses/accessories, you name it. They even have yummy coffees, teas and chocolates for you to fall in love with!


The second store that really caught my attention -- there weren't very many open on Thursday afternoon to be honest -- was 1907 Apparel. And that's where I met Dawn, the owner, and fell in love with her vision and her spirit. She is truly an amazing, inspiring women with such a contagious vibe about her. We must've talked for almost an hour before I even picked up my first t-shirt off the wall. Please take the time to check out their website and read her story. It truly is motivating and powerful. More importantly though, it's not about her story, but about learning what your story is -- pinpointing when change really took place for you. Discovering your own defining moment. A fun side note: 7% of their profits go towards organizations that impact poverty, education and sustainable agriculture.


Lastly, I wanted to share with you a picture of the East-Centric Pavilion and give you a link to their website. I was so excited to see that there was a huge new outdoor music venue, which means that there will be some great summer nights here having a cold beer and listening to some tunes. In fact, this weekend they are hosting the 1st Annual East Nashville Honey Bee Festival on Saturday from 10am - 4pm. Check it out!



What are some of your favorite ways to "Be Local"?

No comments:

Post a Comment