Taco Night.

So tonight was my substitution for Taco Night and to be honest with you, it wasn't the worst thing in the world for a first try. I definitely hope that I get better with these ingredients as time goes by though because they truly aren't as easy to prepare as the 'bad stuff' is :)

I used Boca meatless crumbles out of the frozen section (Whole Foods) and found that they were a little easier to work with then the SmartSource ones that I used a week or so ago. I made sure I learned from my last experience though and added some hot sauce and some crushed red pepper to add some flavor to it, especially since it was suppose to be for tacos. I tried Daiya brand 'cheese' (also Whole Foods) which was a vegan alternative. It had a very odd texture when I pulled it out of the bag, so I added a little of the beau's organic cheddar cheese to my plate as well. Perhaps if I work with the Daiya some more, I'll grow to like it and learn how to use it better. As far as the sour cream goes, I couldn't find a 'vegan' alternative anywhere I looked, so I went with some powdered sour cream that I had in the cupboard that was made by Thrive (something I sell) and followed the instructions for the most part. If you ever use this stuff, I'd recommend more water, it definitely helps with the thickness. It was missing that tart taste though that sour cream usually has, so I wasn't 100% thrilled with it, but would probably be good to mix into things that call for sour cream as an ingredient instead of a topping. Lastly, I put a ton of habanero salsa and hot sauce on top with a whole sliced avocado. Oh, and there's some healthy tortilla chips at the bottom for my shell :) All in all, it was a pretty good meal, but like I said, with time and some better inspiration/guidance, I'm hoping I can whip up some good staples for our dining in nights!


What's been your favorite recent meal(s) you've made at home lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment