Ice Cream.

So the family and I went up to Whole Foods tonight to get some much needed *yummy* food + some hot dinner for the night. I grabbed a new meat alternative that I'm hoping to try later this week for tacos maybe, but I couldn't find a vegetarian/vegan sour cream alternative. I'll have to check Turnip Truck tomorrow if I have time, but I did manage to find some cheese that looks pretty good. I picked up two more hummus as well that I'll share later on too!

The beau and I both got some food from their hot/cold bar -- his looked way better than mine since he cheated with some meat and potatoes. I got some sort of broccoli salad, grape/feta couscous, a quinoa mix and some cooked veggies (served cold). I didn't notice that they had a lot of the same stuff over at the hot bar, which I'd recommend over the cold stuff.

I did splurge a little and get some ice cream tonight since the beau grabbed some Ben & Jerry and it looked so stinkin' good. I found Talenti Gelato which I've heard alot about just recently. I know they sell it over at the Turnip Truck and it's not the cheapest, but neither was my old staple of B&J :) I was happy to see that I could read all the ingredients on the back and knew what they were. I was puzzled though (and realized only after I'd gotten home) that it's labeled as vegetarian, BUT it has milk and cream in it?? Can anyone help me on this one?

Taste Test: 2 Thumbs Way UP!!

This might be kinda mean on my part, but I took a picture of their lovely pastry section. And this is only a fraction of what they have. They also had almost two cases of cakes, plus one whole case of chocolates and cookies. I did notice that some of the chocolates were labeled 'vegan' but nothing else seemed to be 'edible' by my standards :) 



Has anyone found a good place around town to enjoy/buy yummy treats?



3 comments:

  1. I am embarrassed for you. Do your research before you make lifestyle decisions like becoming vegetarian or vegan. These two things are totally different. Vegetarianism means you exclude meat from your diet. Veganism means you exclude any and all animal products from not only your diet, but also your life. This includes things like eggs, dairy products, jello, honey, as well as unexpected things like many varieties of beer, red candy, granulated sugar, soy cheese, and many others. This also includes a bazillion animal-derived products you might use in daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon: Thank you for your comment, though the first line was a bit harsh. I have personally decided to be labeled as a 'flexitarian' meaning I do what I can to maintain a lifestyle of no meat, dairy, white flour, processed foods, sugar, etc but at the same time occasionally indulge myself. It's more of a health choice for me to feel better about myself and my body than a 'cause' 'need' or 'cool thing to do'. I realize that yes, they are both very different. At that exact moment in the grocery store, I had a momentary lapse and did not realize that vegetarians still included dairy -- I was mistaken in thinking that it was not only 'flesh' but animal byproducts. Thank you for clarifying in a very blunt way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vegan desserts are a trick.
    We were at Pei Wie yesterday and they pulled out a Falsh cards of all their menu items with the ingredients. The girl at the counter was very helpful. Did not see much for veggie desserts.

    ReplyDelete