Health Benefits of Chard:
- One of the most antioxidant rich foods out there. Jammed full of Vitamin C&E, beta carotene, zinc, luetin and a ton of other disease fighting goodies.
- Helps promote healthy bones. One cup of chard has 101 mg of calcium in it -- plus Vitamin K and magnesium.
- The high levels of Vitamin K are also helpful in helping the nervous system and brain to maintain proper function.
- Regulates blood sugar thanks to syringic acid and fiber. Those that are at a risk of diabetes or have been diagnosed with it should eat more green leafy vegetables like chard.
- Fights against colon cancer. Chard is known for being a super food when it comes to it's cancer preventing ingredients: chlorophyll, phytochemicals, fiber and other plant pigments.
- High levels of Iron. This combined with the Vitamin K help keep your circulatory system running smoothly and helps with bruising, blood clotting and anemia.
- Boosts eye health. One cup of chard contains your entire day's worth of lutein which helps prevent age related eye diseases.
Note: A 3-1/2 ounce serving contains roughly 77 mgrams of sodium. So for some people, you will have to adjust your diets accordingly to compensate for the high amounts.
|Looks like a fun way to make veggie wraps with peppers and chard.|
What are some of your favorite chard recipes via juicing or eating?