Review: Gnu Bars.

So I came across these while looking for vegan bars that were high in fiber. As a woman, I find it to be more and more important (and harder) to get enough fiber into my every day diet. Fiber is such an essential part of our health -- women under the age of 50 should have on average 25 grams a day and 21 grams after that. Not only does it reduce chances of heart disease and lower cholesterol levels, but it controls blood sugar levels, helps with IBS and hemorrhoids, prevents constipation and helps with weight loss. All good things!

So, when I found GNU Foods, I was praying that their bars were as tasty as they were healthy! And they definitely delivered in both departments. They currently have 10 flavors and I had the pleasure of getting to try 8 of them (not pictured: Espresso Chip and Lemon Ginger).


Fun Facts: They're Vegan (except Blonde Bar) -- Kosher -- only 130-140 calories each -- made with organic 6 Whole Grains and Kamut Flours -- Fruit Juice Sweetened -- no cholesterol, trans fat, hydrogenated oils, sugar alcohols, dairy (except Blonde Bar) -- no whey/soy and no high fructose corn syrup -- also no refined sugar (except the chips in Blonde Bar, Chocolate Brownie and Espresso Chip).

I'd say by far my favorite was the Banana Walnut Bar -- followed by the Chocolate Brownie Bar. Each bar had a ton of flavor and the texture was surprisingly moist and thick -- but not in a 'fiber bar' kind of way. Those of you that have tried a lot of bars over time know what I'm talking about. For example, if you've ever tried any brand of fiber based cereals, you know that they literally 'grow' in your mouth while you're chewing. I didn't notice that a bit with these bars which I was really pleased about and I definitely felt full after eating them while on the run. They even have a fiber comparison chart on their website for bragging rights. The beau has loved the bars as well (Orange Cranberry being his favorite) and they were kiddo approved! 

The bars can be bought on their website in many different ways -- you can buy individual bars ($1.99/each), 5-packs ($1.89/each) or 16-packs ($1.69/each). They have a great program too for those that can't live without them -- The Joy of Fiber Club. You can buy sign up for a monthly shipment in 30-45-60-75-90 or 120 bars at a time, shipped right to your front door or office. The orders ship free every month and you can change or cancel it at any time -- at a 20% discount. Wanna try them out for a good price before making a commitment? You can order a 5-pack sampler, flavors of your choice, for $7.95 ($1.59/each) and shipment is free. If you live around the Nashville area, you can scoop them up at any local Whole Foods Market or The Vitamin Shoppe. Oh, and make sure you check them out on Facebook guys! They're always giving away freebies!

What are some of your favorite ways to get enough fiber in your diet?







**Disclaimer: This box and all the items within were kindly sent to me to review by GNU Foods. All products that are mentioned and reviewed on my blog are my own personal and honest opinions, or those of someone I've shared my goodies with. I am not being compensated additionally for my thoughts or posted reviews -- whether good, bad or indifferent. 


No comments:

Post a Comment