- Diet soda is linked to a decline in overall kidney function. They also believe that because kidney issues weren't noticed with regular soda, that it has something to do with the artificial sweeteners in the diet.
- One diet soda a day increases your risk for metabolic syndrome by 34% -- this includes belly fat, high cholesterol and higher chance of heart disease. It was noted though that researchers were unsure if it had something to do with one of the ingredients in the product or just the diet habits of those studied.
- Diet soda has been linked to obesity and drinking 2+ cans a day can increase your waist size by 500%. Yep, you read it right. Check out the link below to find out why -- I'm afraid that if I type it out, it'll just look like plagiarism :)
- Ordering an alcoholic beverage with a 'diet' mixer will actually increase your hangover because your body absorbs alcohol quicker into the bloodstream when it has a 'sugar free' mixer.
- Diet sodas = sodium benzoate or potassium benzoate. These can cause damage and reek all kinds of havoc on your cells.
- Diet soda (and regular for that matter) are very acidic and cause all kinds of problems for your teeth and gums.
- Sodas in general is linked to reproductive issues (and several others) due to the coating that can be found on their cans.
Sorry I had to be a little vague with some of my explanations. I didn't want to be accused of just doing a 'copy/paste' job on this blog post. Here's the article in it's entirety: 7 Side Effects of Drinking Diet Soda and it will give you some more insight and a point of reference when doing your own research. Stay away from the stuff guys -- it's toxic!