Asparagus.

So it seems like I've been focusing a lot on fruit lately in my posts and wanted to switch it up a bit and do some veggie stuff since I tend to favor them more in solid form and prefer to juice my fruits. When I was growing up, my mom was always told to make sure she emphasized veggies with me since fruit is more likable by youngsters because it's sweet. Kind of a double edged sword though because I love veggies now, but turn my nose up to most fruits. I guess it's really a texture thing for me. Oh, and seeds. I can't stand things that get stuck in my teeth. But I love smoothies and juicing, so I guess all in all at this point, I get a good amount of fruit in my diet.

One of my favorite vegetables is asparagus. I find that people tend to frown on it and I truly believe it's because it hasn't been cooked right for them. I've always been told that the more crunch you have in your veggies, the more nutrients you get and the healthier they are for you. Raw is always best, but some things just don't taste right uncooked. I prefer to steam these lightly or saute them with some seasoning and a little grapeseed oil.

@fitmomofthree
I've recently learned some tricks to storing and using asparagus: (1) When buying it, try to find bunches that don't have really dry or split ends -- this means they've been harvested for a while and won't taste as fresh. (2) When you get them home and place them in the fridge, take either a damp paper towel or a small bowl of water and soak the ends until you use them. (3) Lastly, when you go to cook them, don't just chop off the ends like I use to. Take each individual piece (or several at a time if you're in a hurry) and gently bend them. They will snap on their own in just the right place. Then you won't end up wasting any of the 'good' moist part. And you can take the remaining 'dry' parts and stick them in the fridge to use for juicing! No waste!

@oldskuller
So down to the nutritional nitty gritty:

  • Detoxes our bodies -- has 288mg of potassium per cup which helps reduce belly fat and has no sodium in it which prevents bloating. Also has good amounts of fiber and low calories.
  • Has anti-aging properties -- has glutahione in it which helps fight against free radicals. 
  • An aphrodisiac -- yep you heard right. Apparently the shape is said to trigger some sort of natural reaction that arouses you. The French word for asparagus is used as slang for the male genitalia.
  • Protect against cancer  and reduce the risk of heart disease -- high in folate which is said to help protect our bodies from both issues.
  • Helps prevent osteoporosis and osteoarthritis -- is said to be the number one source of Vitamin K which aids in bone formation and repair. 
  • Helps prevent birth defects -- this is also due to the high levels of folate which most people supplement with folic acid (not the same though).  Helps to regulate the nerve cell formation of the fetus and may help in preventing premature births, Spina Bifida, and anencephaly.
  • Reduces pain and inflammation -- again, the folate helps with this.
  • Can help prevent and reduce UTI's and Kidney Stones.

Additional Sources: Eating Well -- Health Diaries -- WHFoods


@x_anniee

What are some of your favorite ways to cook or use asparagus in your diet?


No comments:

Post a Comment